Formerly known as Custom Fields, properties are now more dynamic. Organization administrators can create and manage these properties. Then you can filter by these properties and save the custom filter to quickly message people in your org. Filters can be used repeatedly to filter your list of contacts or to select a list of contacts to send messages, newsletters, or event invitations. Filters are dynamic in that the list of people will always be based on the current status of the properties when the filter is used.
Properties can be easily viewed and filtered by Organization admins, however, a hub may be a useful tool to allow someone who is not an Organization admin to communicate with a specific group of people in a similar way to how Properties work. To learn more about hubs, check out his article: Create and Setup Hubs
1. You can access your Organization's Properties by clicking Create Contact Properties within Contacts on the left side menu.
2. Within this page, you can manage Custom Properties and Filters.
How to Manage Custom Properties
Click Add Property to create a new Property.
Be sure to give your property a meaningful Field Name for the Contacts who are filling in the fields and also to help you as you create filters in the future.
You can choose between many field types. Note: Text Field and Multiline text are great for free entry fields, but will not work as well for filtering.
- Text Field - free entry text
- Multiline - Same as text, but larger box.
- Dropdown - You can create the options that will show in a selection list and your contacts or admins can select from the list.
- Checkbox - Perfect for Yes/No questions.
- Number - Allow number values
- Date - Date formatted entry field
- Multiselect - The same as Checkbox, but allows the admin/contact to select more than one item.
Additionally, you can select who can view and edit each custom property.
- Viewable by only organization admin - will not be visible or editable by a user in their contact information, but an organization admin can view and edit that property. This is useful for fields that you do not want your users modifying. For example: keeping track of approved volunteers.
- Viewable by organization admins and the user on their profile - These fields will be viewable and editable by org admins and users, but will not be visible in the directory for other users.
- Viewable by all with access to the directory - Edit access is the same as above. The information in this Property will also be viewable in the directory to those who have access.
Lastly, you can choose to "Make this property available in Store Admin". Selecting this will allow you to choose to insert this property as a custom field in products and memberships. In you store item configuration, you can also choose to write the information entered upon purchase to the purchaser's Givebacks (formerly MemberHub) profile. See Adding Custom Fields for Products or Memberships
After your Properties are created, you can edit or remove the property by clicking on the "..." icon.
IF USING THIS CONTACT PROPERTY IN YOUR STORE ALREADY, YOU WILL NEED TO EDIT THE PRODUCT TO REMOVE THE CUSTOM FIELD CONTACT PROPERTY AND THEN ADD IT BACK TO HAVE IT UPDATE ON THE STORE PRODUCT.
How to Manage Filters
See Manage Contacts to create your filters. After your filters are created, you can view them in Contacts Settings.
From the list of filters, you can either Edit or Remove existing filters.
At this time Edit Filter only allows you to Edit the name of the filter.