You can create contact properties to collect and manage additional information about your contacts beyond their name, email, phone number, and address. For example, you may want to know the contact's grade level, teacher, or whether they are interested in volunteering. These fields will be viewable in the contact's profile.
You can filter by these properties and save the custom filter to quickly message people in your organization. Filters are dynamic in that the list of people will always be based on the current status of the properties when the filter is used.
Creating Contact Properties
1. From the toolbar, select Contacts and Create Contact Properties. Within this page, you can manage Custom Properties and Filters.
2. Click Add Property.
3. Give your property a meaningful Field Name for the Contacts who are filling in the fields and also to help you as you create filters in the future.
4. Select the Field Type. You can choose between many field types. Note: Text Field and Multiline text are great for free entry fields, but will not work as well for filtering.
- Text Field - Free-form text
- Multiline - Same as text field, but larger box.
- Dropdown - You can create the options that will show in a selection list and your contacts or admins can select from the list.
- Checkbox - Perfect for Yes/No questions.
- Number - Allow number values
- Date - Date formatted entry field
- Multiselect - The same as Checkbox, but allows the selection of more than one item.
5. Additionally, you can select who can view and edit each contact property.
- Viewable by only organization admins - These fields will not be visible or editable by a user in their profile but an organization admin can view and edit that property. This is useful for fields that you do not want your users to modify. For example, keeping track of approved volunteers.
- Viewable by organization admins and the user on their profile - These fields will be viewable and editable by admins and users, but will not be visible in the directory for other users.
- Viewable by all with access to the directory - Edit access is the same as above. The information in this field will also be viewable in the directory to those who have access.
6. Lastly, you can choose to "Make this property available in Store Admin". Selecting this will allow you to insert this property as a custom field when creating products and memberships, allowing you to collect the information at the time of purchase.
(You can also create contact properties while setting up products and memberships. See Adding Custom Fields for Products or Memberships)
After your Properties are created, you can edit or remove the property by clicking the 3 dots.
IF YOU EDIT A CONTACT PROPERTY THAT IS USED IN YOUR STORE ALREADY, YOU WILL NEED TO EDIT THE PRODUCT TO REMOVE THE CONTACT PROPERTY AND THEN ADD IT BACK TO HAVE IT UPDATE ON THE STORE PRODUCT.
Entering and Viewing Contact Property Data
1. The Contact Properties will be viewable by admins and contacts (based on settings) on the contact profiles. The data can be updated on the profile.
2. Admins can see contact property data when exporting contact lists under Contacts > Manage Contacts > Export icon. Each contact property will be listed in a separate column on the exported spreadsheet.
3. Contact property data can be entered by a customer when purchasing a product or member where the properties have been added as custom fields.
Questions? Contact Givebacks Support.